Thursday, January 28, 2010

Sherlock Holmes and me.

I feel like writing about the characters,who somehow shaped my thought process,influenced me from time to time.It is always good to know your source of inspiration,compare your demons.Who else but Sherlock Holmes to start with..
1.Start of a companionship.
"you will definitely like him..."
That was the first time they introduced me to Sherlock Holmes(I was in class 4th)...and till this day he continues to amaze me.
"he didn't exist in reality he was a fictional character,Doyle created him" My teacher told me.
...... first time my heart broke to cruel reality check(I didn't know then that there are so many yet to come in my life).
And to this day,I am unable to believe.
Sherlock Holmes do exist...in this time...at least for me.

2.Enter the era.
Dark Victorian night, a man in black dress coat, some rain...

Subtly all the adventures of Sherlock Holmes are marked by this specific time accent.The cab will pull back you in the time,when there was a hat on head.Dramatic dialogue, specific mannerism, progressing science of the time are definitive characteristics of all the stories.Its hard to imagine Holmes ,without that erry background and London of the time late nineteenth century.
Its funny we can not comprehend the exact accounts of the London at that time,but Doyle's words are powerful enough to give you a blunt feel of surroundings of time.

3.unforgettable moments
There are many,but least to the account for me,

who will deny the Gothic horror of the hound of the baskerville. Supreme suspense stretched to its full blossom by peculiar habit of Mr. Holmes.The stubbornness of Mr.Steplton, and honest advances of Watson.The story is one of the best of the genre.

Holmes with his monsters in signs of four,relying on cocaine,this definitively pulls him toward more humanity.His intensive psychological struggle with himself,somewhat bending toward masochism is again a track that define his personality.

Holmes with his violin, Holmes working on sampling of tobacco,Holmes doing some chemistry experiments,all these instances gave a insights in this eccentric character.Insight about being a passionate art lover, and a hardworking scientist.Methodical,logical...but at the same time a human.

No comments:

Post a Comment